We thought Paula Patton and Robin Thicke were enjoying one of Hollywood’s most amicable divorces. Their son, Julian, is now 6 and the two share cute snaps of the kid on social media. He even appeared in one of his father’s videos.
But apparently, things are now going sour with the co-parenting couple. Patton filed for a change in their joint custody agreement alleging that Thicke spanked their son, showed up drunk to a school event and smoked weed in front of him.
“The judge denied all of Paula’s requests for custody,” a source close to the situation tells PEOPLE. “She wanted more custody because of her allegations of physical abuse, which are untrue and unfounded.”
Reps for Thicke, 39, and Patton, 41, have not responded to requests for comment.
In legal documents obtained by PEOPLE, Patton claims she’s “become concerned about [Robin]’s drinking and drug use, as well as the forms of punishment he is using to discipline Julian” over the past year.
Patton claims after Julian showed her how Thicke spanked him, she responded with an “ow,” and added that “Julian said it was worse than that,” according to the outlet.
According to the document, the former couple’s physical custody agreement gives Thicke overnights with Julian every Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The pair’s divorce was officially granted last March after a year-long separation.
In his declaration, Thicke claims Paula “holds residual anger” towards him because he and his family “would not permit her or her family” to attend the funeral of his late father, Alan Thicke.
Saying he has “on a very rare occasion, and only as a last resort,” used “light spanking” with Julian per his agreement with Patton during their marriage, Thicke insists he has “never exceeded age-appropriate discipline.”
In his declaration, Thicke claims he has not had physical contact with Julian since Dec. 31, and that after Julian’s first day back at school on Jan. 3, Patton refused to let father and son FaceTime in private.
Patton further alleged that school officials told her that Julien had made comments to them about his father’s punishments and that she was concerned by behavior that included her son going ‘into a trance’, developing a slight stutter and seeming ‘tense.’
According to the legal documents, Thicke says that he finally talked to Julien on January 9th. During that call, he says he told his son he loved him and that he’d done nothing wrong.
We Tried To Make It Work: Divorced Celebs
1. Mike EppsSource:PR Photos 1 of 26
2. Dwayne WadeSource:PR 2 of 26
3. Kimora Lee Simmons and Djimon Honsou3 of 26
4. Usher and Tameka Raymond were once married...but as we know, it didn't work out.4 of 26
5. Nick Cannon and Mariah Carey5 of 26
6. Mashonda Tifrere was once married to Swizz Beatz.6 of 26
7. Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose7 of 26
8. Kimora and Russell Simmons8 of 26
9. Tamar Braxton & Vincent filed for divorce9 of 26
10. Janet Jackson has been divorced...twice.Source:AP) 10 of 26
11. 'All My Children' star and current guest star on 'Power' Debbi Morgan has been married...and divorced four times.11 of 26
12. Eric Benet was married to and divorced from Halle Berry. Now they are both married to other people.12 of 26
13. Lisa Bonet and Lenny Kravitz were once husband and wife.13 of 26
14. And we thought it would last - Evelyn Lozada and Ocho Cinco.14 of 26
15. Yup, Shaunie really was a basketball wife, she was married to Shaquille O'Neal.15 of 26
16. Allen and Tawanna Iverson are legally divorced, but have apparently reconciled, although they haven't remarried.16 of 26
17. Not quite divorced yet, but the papers have been filed and it's been finalized...but will Khloe and Lamar go through with it?17 of 26
18. Jill Scott18 of 26
19. Gina Torres & Laurence Fishburne were officially divorced in October of 201719 of 26
20. Tisha Campbell Martin & Duane Martin20 of 26
21. Stephen Belafonte & Melanie Brown21 of 26
22. Stephen Belafonte & Melanie Brown22 of 26
23. Mary J. Blige & Kendu Isaacs23 of 26
24. Mary J. Blige & Kendu Isaacs24 of 26
25. Usher & Grace Miguel25 of 26
26. Usher & Grace Miguel26 of 26
Paula Patton And Robin Thicke Go To Court Over Son’s Spanking was originally published on blackamericaweb.com