Zoe Saldana has her heart set on her kids knowing the world.
During dinner with her sisters and friends recently, Zoe raised the important issue of teaching her kids about their ancestry and taped the conversation for YouTube. As you’ll recall, the Nina actress and Italian artist Marco Perego got married in 2013 and welcomed twin boys in November of the following year.
Zoe explains, “It is a necessity for us to raise our children with our roots so that they can communicate with their grandparents, but also so that they can create some kind of empathy for human beings that do not look like them, and do not sound like them and do not smell like them.”
She went on to talk about the promises she made before having two children of her own.
“We had made all these promises when we were growing up as first generation Latinas that we’d speak Spanish the way we spoke Spanish,” she said. “But, you don’t realize as you’re saying ‘we’re gonna speak Spanish,’ you’re not saying ‘vamos hablar español.’ It’s very important for you to seek the world, to want to know what’s out there besides the comfort of your block.”
While she’s into exploring the world, America is still the place she calls home.
“America still holds the first spot in my heart,” she said. “I love going back to all the routes that we are from, from Dominican Republic to Puerto Rico, going back to the Middle East. Knowing about our cultures in Africa and everything, but there’s something about landing through JFK, landing through LAX, that I just feel safe.”
Watch her roundtable discussion just above.
SOURCE: PEOPLE | PHOTO CREDIT: Splash News
Every Time Zoe Saldana Looked Like A Work Of Art
1. Elegance.Source:Getty 1 of 30
2. Hair flip!Source:Splash News 2 of 30
3. Flawless features.Source:Getty 3 of 30
4. Flirty in floral.Source:Getty 4 of 30
5. Her marriage to artist, Marco Perego, is enough to make us envious.Source: 5 of 30
6. Bad ass.Source: 6 of 30
7. Nothing is more beautiful than motherhood.Source: 7 of 30
8. And her cooking is similar to art, as well.Source: 8 of 30
9. Fresh-faced and gorgeous.Source: 9 of 30
10. Pregnancy looked amazing on her.Source: 10 of 30
11. Should she go short one day?Source: 11 of 30
12. Million dollar smile.Source: 12 of 30
13. Her Marie Claire cover was AHH-mazing and she knows it.Source: 13 of 30
14. Namaste.Source: 14 of 30
15. Throwback Zoe.Source: 15 of 30
16. Zoe's mornings be like...Source: 16 of 30
17. Yass, Zoe. Yass!Source:Getty 17 of 30
18. Heyyy Zoe. *waves*Source:Getty 18 of 30
19. Feeling herself.Source:Getty 19 of 30
20. All black everything.Source:Getty 20 of 30
21. Perfect frame.Source:Getty 21 of 30
22. Is there a color that doesn't look good on her? Nah.Source:Getty 22 of 30
23. Slay.Source:Getty 23 of 30
24. *Inserts praise hands*Source:Getty 24 of 30
25. All white everything.Source:Getty 25 of 30
26. Serve!Source:Getty 26 of 30
27. *Inserts heart eyes*Source:Getty 27 of 30
28. 10's across the board.Source:Getty 28 of 30
29. When bae gives you that look.Source:Splash News 29 of 30
30. Stunt.Source:Getty 30 of 30
Zoe Saldana Opens Up On Multiculturalism and What Home Really Means was originally published on globalgrind.com