The PaleyFest panel for Fear The Walking Dead opened with two scenes. The first saw Kim Dickens (Madison Clark) and Ruben Blades (Daniel Salazar) discussing whether or not they could ever trust the moneyed captain (Coleman Domingo’s Victor Strand) of the luxury ship they’ll soon be setting sail on. In the other, we saw the embattled Nick Clark (Frank Dillane) come face-to-face with what appeared to be a floating zombie ready to snack. Which is pretty new in zombie lore, all things considered. The strange zombie behavior was duly addressed by showrunner Dave Erickson: “They don’t drown; they keep floating back up,” he said. Cue the gnarled breathiness of a zombie with water-logged lungs still looking for a meal. But, at least, they definitely can’t swim.
So there will be no safe harbor from the zombie menace. The second season begins at sea, and with the way the first season ended (Travis being washed over by waves after doing the undoable), it’s safe to say that Season 2 will feature all the properties of water: rolling, shifting, mysterious, and dangerous change. When asked what the goal of the survivors are this season, Erickson had this to say: “It’s just to find a place where they can eventually drop anchor and stay, ultimately.” If the dynamics of the motley crew are to be believed, however, things will end inevitably in tears and violence.
The panel was playful, though, for the most part. Frank Dillane doing his full Johnny Depp: stopping short of saying anything that wasn’t vague, spacing around, and fidgeting, charm oozing from his armpits. There was a moment there when asked to explain how his sobriety will factor into his behavior, where he says, “That depends on what you think heroin is.” And for a few others up there, this wasn’t their first time on the end-of-the-world rodeo. Cliff Curtis noted that a few of them had been to “apocalypse school.” Daniel Salazar said as much, “The second season, everybody understands the things that weren’t clear before.”
What’s most important is what lies beneath. And the cast hinted at evolution as the situation becomes untenable. Mercedes Mason (Ofelia Salazar) categorized the shift this way, “There’s that one moment, that one instance or something that makes you look at your parent as a human as opposed to just a parent… Ofelia really is at a precipice of understanding adulthood and what it means to survive,” noted the actress.
Note: Nick Clark will get a new set of clothes this season. Finally.
Season two of Fear The Walking Dead airs April 10 at 9 P.M. on AMC.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
28 Photos Of O.J. Simpson & The Key Players In His Murder Trial
1. O.J. seen talking to his lawyers Robert Shapiro, Johnnie Cochran, and Robert Kardashian during a trial date.Source:Getty 1 of 28
2. The late Robert Kardashian defends his friend O.J. Simpson in court.Source:Getty 2 of 28
3. O.J. Simpson and his ex-wife Nicole Brown in seemingly happier times.Source:Getty 3 of 28
4. AI Cowlings, the friend who drove O.J. during his infamous Bronco chase.Source:Getty 4 of 28
5. Judge Lance Ito listens to defense motions to exclude Mark Fuhrman's testimony and the prosecutions' response to retain the information, 11 September, during a court hearing in the O.J. Simpson murder trail.Source:Getty 5 of 28
6. O.J. x Johnnie Cochran.Source:Getty 6 of 28
7. Deputy District Attorney Chris Darden asks Judge Lance Ito in the O.J.Simpson case, 13 January, to bar the defense from asking Los Angeles Police detective Mark Fuhrman if he ever uttered a racial epithet.Source:Getty 7 of 28
8. Did O.J. do it?Source:Getty 8 of 28
9. The scene around O.J.'s October 3rd trial date.Source:Getty 9 of 28
10. O.J.'s sister spotted near the crime scene.Source:Getty 10 of 28
11. The infamous Bronco chase.Source:Getty 11 of 28
12. The crowd cheers after hearing the verdict on October 3rd, 1995.Source:Getty 12 of 28
13. A much earlier photo of O.J. and his good friend AI Cowlings, circa 1979.Source:Getty 13 of 28
14. O.J. tries on a glove that was used in the murder of his ex-wife.Source:Getty 14 of 28
15. O.J. Simpson and his ex-wife Nicole Brown in seemingly happier times.Source:Getty 15 of 28
16. Deputy district attorney Marcia Clark is shown during testimony at the preliminary hearings.Source:Getty 16 of 28
17. O.J. Simpson and his kids at Nicole Simpson's funeral.Source:Getty 17 of 28
18. Robert Shapiro reads O.J.'s damning letter to the press.Source:Getty 18 of 28
19. O.J. Simpson with Nicole and the kids during happier times.Source:Getty 19 of 28
20. Johnnie Cochran lays down the law, circa 1995.Source:Getty 20 of 28
21. The Juice at his 1994-1995 murder trial.Source:Getty 21 of 28
22. Robert Kardashian sits through trial.Source:Getty 22 of 28
23. Robert Shapiro x O.J. Simpson.Source:Getty 23 of 28
24. Robert Shapiro in 2015.Source:Getty 24 of 28
25. O.J. Simpson leaving the courthouse after the civil trial that followed his murder trial.Source:Getty 25 of 28
26. O.J. heads to the place he knows best, court.Source:Getty 26 of 28
27. O.J. at an evidentiary hearing in 2013.Source:Getty 27 of 28
28. O.J. at an evidentiary hearing in 2013.Source:Getty 28 of 28
Paleyfest 101: Floating Zombies & What Lies Beneath On “Fear The Walking Dead” Season 2 was originally published on globalgrind.com