View this post on Instagram
The Greatest Teacher in my life, my dad Lee Andrews June 2nd 1936-March 16 2016. I love you. For every backstage experience. For every drum lesson. For giving me your tireless work ethic. For our father & son record binging expeditions. For our arguments over the summer I discovered #ItTakesANationOfMillions. For the look on your face when I told you "imma give this rap thing a try" (I waited til our 2nd album to have this convo btw) For the look on your face 5 years later when I told you "you don't have to work no more. For the look on your face when a year later I was like "Seriously dad, you don't have to work anymore!" For bringing my mom & my sister into my life. For the years we fell out. For the years we put it back together. But really, for the last 2 conversations we had. I understand why you were so hard on me praying I didn't succumb to a fate not meant for a teenager in west philly in the mid 80s. I didn't understand it at the time. But I appreciate it now. I hope Donn & I do you proud. #LeeAndrewsAndTheHearts
We are sad to report Questlove‘s dad has died at the age of 79.
The famed Roots drummer announced the news via Instagram and penned a touching farewell message about their relationship in the caption.
Quest wrote, in part:
“I love you. For every backstage experience. For every drum lesson. For giving me your tireless work ethic. For our father & son record binging expeditions. For our arguments over the summer I discovered #ItTakesANationOfMillions.”
May he rest in peace. Our prayers are with Questlove and his family at this time.
From Robert L. Johnson, head of RLJ Entertainment: “It’s unfortunate that African-Americans are talking about this in a way that hearkens back to how we were treated when we were slaves. The slave masters separated light-skinned blacks from dark-skinned blacks, and some of that social DNA still exists today among many black people.”
Read his full statement over at The Hollywood Reporter.
We’ve got a brand new X-Men: Apocalypse trailer on our hands and it’s just what we need to end this week out right. The upcoming film stars a bunch of big names, including fan favorites Jennifer Lawrence and Olivia Munn.
Watch Professor X (James McAvoy) and his mutants prepare to face their enemies in the clip above. X-Men: Apocalypse is in theaters on May 27th.
Orange Is The New Black is coming back for a fourth season and now we’ve chanced upon exclusive sneak peek photos, courtesy of THR.
OITNB hits Netflix on June 17th.
Fox just renewed Gotham for a third season, so it looks like we can get used to having Jada Pinkett Smith in our living rooms on Mondays.
While down vs its first season, Gotham — which hit a Live+same day season low of 1.3 18-49 rating on Monday — has been doing a solid business in multi-platform viewing, averaging 9 million total viewers in Season 2, and has done well with male demos. The series ranks among this season’s Top 10 entertainment programs overall among Men 18-49, and is among the season’s Top 5 broadcast dramas among Men 18-49 and Men 18-34.
“It takes a very special team to tell the tales of Gotham. For the past two seasons, Bruno, Danny and John have masterfully honored the mythology of Gotham and brought it to life with depth, emotion and memorable high drama,” said David Madden, Fox’s Entertainment president.
Will you be tuning in?
This is great news.
SeaWorld has finally announced that it will end its killer whale breeding program, after a ton of controversy surrounding the company’s practice of forcing orcas into captivity.
The Hollywood Reporter writes:
“SeaWorld has introduced more than 400 million guests to orcas, and we are proud of our part in contributing to the human understanding of these animals,” said Joel Manby, president and chief executive officer of SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. “As society’s understanding of orcas continues to change, SeaWorld is changing with it. By making this the last generation of orcas in our care and reimagining how guests will encounter these beautiful animals, we are fulfilling our mission of providing visitors to our parks with experiences that matter.”
The company said its partnership with the Humane Society will help educate guests on animal welfare and conservation issues through interpretive programs at the parks and by expanded advocacy for wild whales, seals and other marine creatures.
Every Time Zoe Saldana Looked Like A Work Of Art
1. Elegance.Source:Getty 1 of 30
2. Hair flip!Source:Splash News 2 of 30
3. Flawless features.Source:Getty 3 of 30
4. Flirty in floral.Source:Getty 4 of 30
5. Her marriage to artist, Marco Perego, is enough to make us envious.5 of 30
6. Bad ass.6 of 30
7. Nothing is more beautiful than motherhood.7 of 30
8. And her cooking is similar to art, as well.8 of 30
9. Fresh-faced and gorgeous.9 of 30
10. Pregnancy looked amazing on her.10 of 30
11. Should she go short one day?11 of 30
12. Million dollar smile.12 of 30
13. Her Marie Claire cover was AHH-mazing and she knows it.13 of 30
14. Namaste.14 of 30
15. Throwback Zoe.15 of 30
16. Zoe's mornings be like...16 of 30
17. Yass, Zoe. Yass!Source:Getty 17 of 30
18. Heyyy Zoe. *waves*Source:Getty 18 of 30
19. Feeling herself.Source:Getty 19 of 30
20. All black everything.Source:Getty 20 of 30
21. Perfect frame.Source:Getty 21 of 30
22. Is there a color that doesn't look good on her? Nah.Source:Getty 22 of 30
23. Slay.Source:Getty 23 of 30
24. *Inserts praise hands*Source:Getty 24 of 30
25. All white everything.Source:Getty 25 of 30
26. Serve!Source:Getty 26 of 30
27. *Inserts heart eyes*Source:Getty 27 of 30
28. 10's across the board.Source:Getty 28 of 30
29. When bae gives you that look.Source:Splash News 29 of 30
30. Stunt.Source:Getty 30 of 30
What’s Happening In Hip-Pop: Questlove’s Dad Dies, New “X-Men: Apocalypse” Trailer, & More was originally published on globalgrind.com