View this post on Instagram
My grandmother (in the middle) and my Aunt Sheri (on the right) both called me the day after the Oscars because I never told them I was a survivor. I was too ashamed. Too afraid. And it took me a long time to even admit it to myself because I'm Catholic and I knew it was evil but I thought it was my fault. I thought it was my fault for ten years. The morning after the Oscars when I talked to my grandmother Ronnie, with tears in her eyes I could hear them welling through the phone she said to me "My darling granddaughter, I've never been more proud of you than I am today." Something I have kept a secret for so long that I was more ashamed of than anything– became the thing the women in my life were the most proud of. And not just any women, the ones I look up to the most. #BeBrave #speakup #tilithappenstoyou
It’s a new day for Lady Gaga.
Back in 2014, the Monster pop star revealed to the world she’d been raped at just 19 years old. Though you might’ve assumed that was also the moment she dropped the bombshell news on her family, it turns out two of the closest women to her only found out this past Sunday while watching her 2016 Oscars performance.
Opening up about the personal dilemma she’s struggled with for over a decade, Gaga revealed she’d still never told her grandmother and Aunt Sheri that she is a survivor of rape.
On Instagram, she wrote in part:
I was too ashamed. Too afraid. And it took me a long time to even admit it to myself because I’m Catholic and I knew it was evil but I thought it was my fault. I thought it was my fault for ten years. The morning after the Oscars when I talked to my grandmother Ronnie, with tears in her eyes I could hear them welling through the phone she said to me “My darling granddaughter, I’ve never been more proud of you than I am today.”
Now 29 years old, Gaga performed the Oscar-nominated song “Til It Happens To You” at the Academy Awards on Sunday. She co-penned the powerful track with Diane Warren for The Hunting Ground, a documentary about sexual assault survivors.
She previously said of being assaulted and her work on the documentary:
“I didn’t know how to accept it. I didn’t know how to not blame myself or think it was my fault. It’s something that really changed my life. It changed who I was completely. It changed my body, it changed my thoughts.”
“Diane [Warren, her co-writer] will tell you, it was really hard for me when (the song) came out. I was really stressed out about it.” Gaga said. “Every time I listen to it, I cry. Every time I get a text about it, I always feel sick. It’s like this thing you don’t want to face. But because she wanted to face it with me, it reminded me of what the song is for.”
Gaga, what an inspiration you are. Read her Instagram excerpt in full above.
PHOTO CREDIT: Instagram, Getty
Lady Gaga Dressed In Normal Outfits (PHOTOS)
1. Lady Gaga Doesn't Rock A "Dressed Down" Look That Often, But When She Does, She Sure Knows How To Work It!1 of 24
2. Is That You, Gaga?2 of 24
3. Lady Gaga's Elegant Look3 of 24
4. Lady Gaga Steps Out In This Pink & Black Outfit.4 of 24
5. Gaga's Proper Look Is Completed With A Tea Cup In Hand.5 of 24
6. Gaga Shows Us Her Sexy Side In This Low-Cut Black Dress.6 of 24
7. Gaga Wears This Fabulous Yellow Dress She Paired Up With Matching Louboutins.7 of 24
8. All Black Everything.8 of 24
9. Gaga Is Pictured In This Black & Yellow Dress.9 of 24
10. Gaga Wears A Pencil Skirt On A Night Out.10 of 24
11. Lady Gaga Shows Some Skin In This Get Up.11 of 24
12. Lady Gaga Looks Fabulous And Simple.12 of 24
13. Lady Gaga Bares Her Fresh Face In This Selfie.13 of 24
14. Gaga In Rare Form During A Performance.14 of 24
15. Lady Gaga's Make Up, Hair & Fit Is On Point.15 of 24
16. Lady Gaga Poses With Radio Personalities Elvis Duran & Carolina Bermudez.16 of 24
17. Lady Gaga Dazzles In This Orange Dress.17 of 24
18. Lady Gaga Reveals Her Natural Dark Hair.18 of 24
19. Lady Gaga Wore This Bright Hot Pink Dress A Few Years Back.19 of 24
20. Gaga Shares More Toned Down Selfies.20 of 24
21. Gaga Looking Great.21 of 24
22. Lady Gaga Wears A Black Jumper.22 of 24
23. She Kept Her Look Simple During This Performance.23 of 24
24. Lady Gaga Wears Her Natural Hair & A Black Dress on The Red Carpet.24 of 24
A New Day: Lady Gaga Finally Speaks With Grandmother About Being A Rape Survivor was originally published on globalgrind.com