In court on Monday, ESPN reporter Erin Andrews broke down in tears after recalling the horrific story of being stalked.
Andrews said the incident has resulted in her feeling depressed, anxious and suffering from random bouts of panic attacks.
The initial incident gained momentum in 2009, after Erin Andrews found out from a blogger friend that she was secretly video tapped in her Nashville hotel room. Erin was in the city to cover a football game for the network.
Her stalker, later identified as Michael David Barrett, admitted to calling the hotel operator from the restaurant in the Nashville Marriott hotel and asking to be connected to Erin’s room. After he received the room number to the reporter’s room, he then went up to her floor, saw the maid cleaning the room right next to hers and requesting to be put in the same room.
When Barrett was given the room next to Andrews, he then used a hacksaw to remove the peep-hole in Andrews’ hotel room door and replaced it with a plug. And then he waited. Upon hearing Andrews’ shower water begin to run, Barrett went to Andrews’ door and recorded her undressing from his cellphone for a couple of minutes.
From there, Barrett’s “pretty ill-conceived plan” consisted of him “try[ing] to sell the tape to someone.”
Barrett was sentenced to two and half years in jail for the crime.
Andrews, however, is now suing the Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University for $75 million dollars. Andrews, her family and her lawyers argue how much of an impact the incident has had on her life. Paula Andrews, Erin’s mother, stated, “We just kept telling her, ‘It’s not your fault. You’re a victim. You’ve been assaulted.” Adding, “She’s always afraid someone’s going to touch her, to get to her. She was very, very cooperative with fans … and now, unless there’s somebody standing there to protect her, she does not interact with people. She’s very, very frightened of crowds.”
Andrews also recalled, on the stand, how one of the hardest parts of the of ordeal was when she had to watch the video, which went viral, in front of the FBI with her father present, in order to determine whether or not she was being truthful in not having anything to do with the scandal.
Andrews said, “It was being said that I did this for a publicity stunt. All we kept thinking as a family ‘This is me! Who did this to me and who let this happen?.”
The case against the Nashville hotel is still being dealt with in court, but West End Hotel Partners — which operates the Nashville Marriott — is sticking to the claim that Barrett’s actions were of his own, not the hotel.
SOURCE: ABC News | PHOTO SOURCE: Getty
All The Moments From The 2016 Oscar After Parties You Need To See
1. Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock kept it straight-faced for this flick after the Oscars.Source:Getty 1 of 24
2. Jessica Biel, Amy Adams, and Demi Lovato got a little ratchet at the 2016 Vanity Fair Oscar Party by taking their shoes off and enjoying themselves.Source:Getty 2 of 24
3. There are no boxes for Andy Samberg, Justin Timberlake, or Keegan-Michael Key to put anything inside of during this party.Source:Getty 3 of 24
4. Brie Larson had a great time after her Oscar win. Laugh it up!Source:Getty 4 of 24
5. Smooches. Chrissy Teigen couldn't make a face this time as her husband John Legend planted a wet one on her.Source:Getty 5 of 24
6. Wiz Khalifa appears to be enjoying the view, as Charlize Theron chats at the Vanity Fair after party.Source:Getty 6 of 24
7. Sam Smith shares a moment with a worker at the Oscars after party.Source:Getty 7 of 24
8. Kerry Washington wasn't ready, as she jokes with someone off camera while taking a flick with Kate Beckinsale.Source:Getty 8 of 24
9. Wiz Khalifa chats it up with Jeremy Renner at the 2016 Vanity Fair Oscars After Party.Source:Getty 9 of 24
10. The original Creed, Carl Weathers, talks with Michael Strahan and Aaron Paul.Source:Getty 10 of 24
11. Bad Boys: French Montana and Diddy kick it with Chris Rock and Toby Maguire.Source:Getty 11 of 24
12. Catching up! Here's Paula Patton and Anthony Mackie.Source:Getty 12 of 24
13. Paula Patton and Anthony Mackie were having a great time together at the Vanity Fair party.Source:Getty 13 of 24
14. Caitlyn Jenner and Vanity Fair's beauty director SunHee Grinnell attend the 2016 Vanity Fair Oscar Party.Source:Getty 14 of 24
15. Common is the center of attention during this after party.Source:Getty 15 of 24
16. Jason Sudeikis and his wife Olivia Wilde kick it with Aaron Paul. What you drinking, Jason?Source:Getty 16 of 24
17. Caitlyn Jenner and Lady Gaga share words during the Vanity Fair Oscar Party.Source:Getty 17 of 24
18. Kerry Washington poses with Serena Williams. The good guys wear white.Source:Getty 18 of 24
19. Put 'em up! Alessandra Ambrosio is ready for anything.Source:Getty 19 of 24
20. Chris Rock talks with the night's big winner, Leonardo DiCaprio.Source:Getty 20 of 24
21. Kevin Hart rocks out to the tunes at QuestLove at his official Oscar's After Party.Source:Getty 21 of 24
22. Do you see his dance moves in that tux?Source:Getty 22 of 24
23. La La and Kelly Rowland rocked out at Kevin's party as well.Source:Getty 23 of 24
24. Mary J.Blige and her husband Kenzo kept it casual at the Vanity Fair party.Source:Getty 24 of 24
Erin Andrews Breaks Down In Tears While Giving Her Testimony In Court was originally published on globalgrind.com