Valentine’s Day means different things to different people. Some anticipate the romantic night with their bae, while others sit at home alone, drinking wine, watching rom-coms, and pretending the holiday is just a regular ol’ day.
One thing we all have in common is that we were essentially forced to celebrate Valentine’s back in elementary school. Classmates, parents, and teachers brought candy and cards to school so no man would be left behind.
Elementary school students at Bradt Primary School in Rotterdam, N.Y. were so in the V-Day spirit, they gave more than 600 cards to veterans for the Valentine’s for Vets program.
Nowadays, if you don’t have a Valentine, it could feel like you don’t exist for that entire 24 hours. But for nostalgia purposes, think back to the days when it was more about getting candy than getting cute for your romantic dinner date.
Here’s some reasons Valentine’s Day was way cooler in elementary school.
We were all in it together! Every kid left school with a bag full of candy and a happy heart.
The V-Day cards were more creative and not so generic.
The adults did all the work. All the kids had to do was show up with a sweet tooth.
The risk of getting your heart broken by a crush was highly unlikely. Even if you did have a crush, you were over it by the end of the week.
Getting a box of chocolates and candy from your mom and dad was more exciting than depressing. More candy!
Expectations for Valentine’s Day were low in general.
Valentine’s Day was one of the rare times to be excited about going to school.
Love wasn’t complicated.
It’s inexpensive. It was more about creativity than the cost.
You were oblivious to the fact that it may be the greatest Valentine’s Day you’ll have in years.
PHOTO CREDIT: Giphy, Getty
Celebrities Show Off Their Valentine's Day Plans (PHOTOS)
1. Rihanna spent her V-Day poolside with BFF Melissa.Source:Instagram 1 of 25
2. Dwyane Wade & Gabrielle Union kept close for their Valentine's Day/All-Star Weekend festivities.Source:Instagram 2 of 25
3. The NBA's hottest wives and ballers went to see "About Last Night" in theaters.Source:Instagram 3 of 25
4. Overall, they had a very "colorful" weekend as Gabby described it.Source:Instagram 4 of 25
5. Dwyane even pulled a "Being Mary Jane" move on his fiancé... thoughtful indeed.Source:Instagram 5 of 25
6. Christina Milian blessed her special someone with perfectly pink kisses.Source:Instagram 6 of 25
7. LaLa & Carmelo Anthony spent their Valentine's Day at the Jordan party.Source:Instagram 7 of 25
8. Kylie Jenner and Khloe Kardashian spend Valentine's Day together.Source:INF 8 of 25
9. Bruce Jenner and Khloe Kardashian spend Valentine's Day together.Source:INF 9 of 25
10. Kylie Jenner and Khloe Kardashian spend Valentine's Day together.Source:Splash 10 of 25
11. Barack Obama shares his Valentine's Day with his First LadySource:Twitter 11 of 25
12. Khloe Kardashian and Kylie Jenner spend V-Day togetherSource:Instagram 12 of 25
13. Kim Kardashian shows off her roses from Kanye WestSource:Instagram 13 of 25
14. Rihanna spent her V-Day poolside with BFF Melissa.Source:Instagram 14 of 25
15. Halle Berry films a movie in LA during V-DaySource:INF 15 of 25
16. Ellen DeGeneres takes a V-Day selfie with Portia de RossiSource:INF 16 of 25
17. Rihanna posted this photo to her Instagram for Valentine's DaySource:Instagram 17 of 25
18. Rihanna spent her V-Day poolside with BFF Melissa.Source:Instagram 18 of 25
19. Karrueche gets some white roses for Valentine's DaySource:Instagram 19 of 25
20. Ciara shares a photo of her with fiance FutureSource:Instagram 20 of 25
21. Kris Jenner gets flowers from Rob KardashianSource:Instagram 21 of 25
22. Kris Jenner gets flowers from Scott DisickSource:Instagram 22 of 25
23. Shay Mitchell shows off her V-Day nailsSource:Instagram 23 of 25
24. Shay Mitchell gets treated to a romantic dinnerSource:Instagram 24 of 25
25. Khloe Kardashian gets flowers from her brother Rob KardashianSource:Instagram 25 of 25
Puppy Love! 10 Reasons Valentine’s Day Was Way Cooler In Elementary School was originally published on globalgrind.com