Two weeks ago, when Hunger Games actress Amandla Stenberg took Instagram to school Kylie Jenner on cultural appropriation, fans of the youngest Kardashian family member and observers attacked the 16-year-old for simply expressing her frustrations about living in a world that celebrated Black culture, but not Black people.
Here’s what Stenberg wrote under a photograph of Jenner rocking cornrows and thickly lined lips:
“When u appropriate black features and culture but fail to use ur position of power to help black Americans by directing attention towards ur wigs instead of police brutality or racism #whitegirlsdoitbetter,” Stenberg wrote under the questionable photograph.
In this week’s “The Retweet,” GlobalGrind and NewsOne Editor Christina Coleman examines the accuracy of Stenberg’s statement and how Hollywood and social media support a culture that looks at young Black women as a threat, instead of individuals who need support and protection.
For more episodes of The Retweet, see here.
PHOTO CREDIT: Instagram, Twitter
16 Of Amandla Stenberg's Dopest Instagram Moments
1. No one rocks gray braids like Amandla.Source: 1 of 8
2. That time she went to prom with Jaden Smith. Epic!Source: 2 of 8
3. That time she showed her radiant mom some love.Source: 3 of 8
4. That time her and her dad jammed out to Bob Marley.Source: 4 of 8
5. Hanging out with her buddy Willow Smith.Source: 5 of 8
6. Them again.Source: 6 of 8
7. Flawless.Source: 7 of 8
8. A&WSource: 8 of 8
The Retweet: Amandla Stenberg Vs. Kylie Jenner…Who Really Needs Protecting? was originally published on globalgrind.com