The live map, above, called “Musical Map: Cities of the World,” displays listening trends in over one thousand cities and creates a specialized playlist for each. Spotify will work to update each distinctive city playlist on a bi-monthly basis, as each update “involves analyzing approximately 20 billion listener/track relationships.”
We travel to experience what makes a place different, and special, by sampling local specialties.
Let’s try the same approach with music, on a big map of the world. You can click any of nearly a thousand cities to hear a playlist of the music that is most distinctively enjoyed there.
What do we mean by “distinctive?” This is music that people in each city listen to quite a bit, which people in other cities also do not listen to very much. So it is, exactly, the music that makes them different from people everywhere else.
Whenever you want, your headphones can take you to hundreds of cities on this map — an interactive audiographic guide to how the world listens to music. Because this music represents music that over-indexes in these cities, it’s a great way to pluck local favorites from around the world and add the ones you like to Your Music in Spotify.
And with that, yet another complexity is added to the war of the streaming services. Big ups to Spotify, though—this feature is pretty cool.
15 Of The Most Iconic Chains In Hip-Hop History (PHOTOS)
1. Eric B & Rakim's Dookie ChainsSource:YouTube 1 of 15
2. The Notorious B.I.G.'s Jesus PieceSource:Wikipedia 2 of 15
3. Tupac's Death Row ChainSource:Wikipedia 3 of 15
4. Jay Z's Roc-A-Fella ChainSource:Getty 4 of 15
5. Nas' Queensbridge PieceSource:YouTube 5 of 15
6. 50 Cent's Spinning G-Unit PieceSource:Getty 6 of 15
7. Fat Joe's Terror Squad ChainSource:Getty 7 of 15
8. DMX's Ruff Ryders chainSource:Getty 8 of 15
9. Cam'ron's Spinning Globe ChainSource:Tumblr 9 of 15
10. Lil Jon's Massive Crunk is Dead ChainSource:Getty 10 of 15
11. T-Pain's Big Ass ChainSource:Twitter 11 of 15
12. Rick Ross' Chain of Rick Ross Wearing a Rick Ross ChainSource:YouTube 12 of 15
13. Gucci Mane's Bart Simpson ChainSource:YouTube 13 of 15
14. Kanye West's Horus ChainSource:YouTube 14 of 15
15. Plies' Ski Mask ChainSource:Getty 15 of 15
Spotify: Hip-Hop Is Most Popular Genre In The World was originally published on globalgrind.com