If you’re experiencing major Empire withdrawals, then this month’s Emmy Magazine will be a sight for sore eyes.
Despite only having one season, Empire has been an undeniable sensation, as week after week, more and more viewers tune in to watch the Lyon family struggle with deceit, betrayal, and murder, all the while striving to build a lasting family legacy on the power of music.
Cookie and Lucious’s volatile relationship is one of the main reasons viewers are glued to the television. And their strong on-screen chemistry is very obvious in the steamy photoshoot.
While the widespread success of the show may be a surprise to some, Henson’s father always knew she was destined for greatness. In the accompanying interview, she recalls a moment from years ago with her father right before he passed away:
He was like, ‘Baby, that ain’t nothin’. You are going to be a sensation,’” the Empire star recounts now. “He was looking off into the distance, and I think he saw what was coming.
“At the time, I was like, ‘What you see? Shoot, I want to see it! Time went on, and I’m getting older. I ain’t no spring chicken. I’m thinking, ‘Maybe the Oscar [nod] was it.’ Then [Empire] comes along, and it blows up, and it’s like, ‘Okay, Daddy, this is what you were talking about.’ He saw this moment right here.”
Howard also admits to being surprised by the instant success of the show. As he told Emmy Magazine:
“I didn’t know that the American public was really ready to tackle some of these issues that we’re tackling, especially the African-American population,” Howard says. “With the homophobia that runs through there, I didn’t think a lot of the scenes that we’ve had would be welcome. I thought 20 minutes in[to the first episode], by the time they had the first [same-sex] kiss, it would be a wrap. Everybody would change the channel.”
Well despite, or maybe because of, the variety of issues featured on the drama, the American public can’t seem to stop watching Empire. If you can’t get enough either, head to newsstands on June 9th to grab your copy of their sensational cover.
SOURCE: Emmy Mag | PHOTO CREDIT: Instagram
20 Reasons Taraji P. Henson Is Our Favorite Girl In Hollywood (PHOTOS)
1. Because that one eyebrow is ALWAYS on fleek.1 of 20
2. Because she's a Howard University woman.2 of 20
3. Because she's serving EVERYTHING on Fox's new hit show "Empire."3 of 20
4. Because we all have a little "Yvette" from "Baby Boy" in us. (And some of us have had a Jody in our lives too).4 of 20
5. Because somehow she manages to make every selfie on Instagram look like a full-fledged photoshoot.5 of 20
6. Because she's never afraid to take off the heels and just be a down chick.6 of 20
7. Because she's never hesitant to show love to other sisters in Hollywood.7 of 20
8. Because this reminds us of something we would do in the pool. Basically...we're all Taraji.8 of 20
9. Because she uses her celebrity for the causes that mean the most.9 of 20
10. That hair!10 of 20
11. Because her filmography is more diverse than people who've been in the game longer than her (and we must say...better).11 of 20
12. Because she rocked this patterned ensemble on the 'Gram and now we wish we had one.12 of 20
13. Because no matter the role, the time period, or the emotion, she's spot on.13 of 20
14. Did we mention the hair?14 of 20
15. All of these movies...ALL OF THEM.15 of 20
16. Because she got a chance to do this to Idris Elba. It's not fair, but that's our girl, so we're happy for her.16 of 20
17. Because she's always a little DMV (D.C., Maryland, Virginia) wherever she goes (even when she's rocking a NY hat).17 of 20
18. There goes that hair...18 of 20
19. Need we say more?19 of 20
20. And because she'll always be the relatable girl next door that we love. Never change, Taraji!20 of 20
Lucious & Cookie Power: Taraji P. Henson & Terrence Howard Cover Emmy Magazine was originally published on globalgrind.com