It’s that time of year where everyone starts feeling the pressure to get their summer body on point…including myself (ughhhhhhh…). So, cue the process of dragging your feet back into the gym, re-activating that gym membership, and trying to juice more fruits and vegetables for breakfast than you consumed all winter combined.
But you’re not alone. TRUST ME.
So in the spirit—and pain—of trying to get back into the gym, here’s “19 Stages Everyone Goes Through When Joining The Gym”
1. You’ve been thinking about joining the gym for months, but never quite got around to it.
2. And then one day you bite the bullet and do it. It can’t be THAT bad, right?
3. Before you know it, you’ve signed on the dotted line for a brand new you.
4. But then there’s a wave of regret when you realize you just made a financial commitment to REGULAR EXERCISE.
5. You’re in total denial that you could ever be a gym person.
6. And the regret hits you so damn hard when you try and get up early for a morning workout.
7. You forget your towel on the first day. Obviously.
8. And spend the next hour being totally baffled by the array of machines.
9. In fact, the treadmill is the only thing in the whole room that looks even vaguely familiar…
10. …but then this happens.
11. You sit on a machine for a while and hope nobody notices you’re not actually doing anything.
12. Then you lift 5kg and are so. Fucking. Happy.
13. But then ten seconds later, you look to your left and see a buff dude lifting 50kg like it’s NBD.
14. Not to mention all the other super-fit people.
15. WHO ALL HAVE REALLY NICE GYM CLOTHES.
16. You feel like an outcast for the next few weeks…
17. …but start to actually understand how some of the machines work.
18. And then you can lift a little bit more, and run for a little bit longer, and even last an entire Zumba class without collapsing.
19. And before you know it, you’re a gym junkie doling out death stares to newbies who forget their towels.