Launched in 2013, the “No More” PSA campaign was initiated by Law & Order: SVU‘s Mariska Hargitay‘s Joyful Heart Foundation in conjunction with No More in a three-year campaign against domestic violence and sexual assault.
Stars like Mary J. Blige, Christopher Meloni, Sophia Bush, Sway Calloway, Blair Underwood, Natasha Lyonne, Shad Moss, Nick Lachey, Tim Gunn, Courtney Cox and more are all featured in these important ads. The campaign features commercials, print and banner ads that will be displayed across all Viacom Networks.
The domestic violence statistics are startling. According to a study conducted by GfK Public Affairs & Corporate Communications:
- One in three women (30%) and one in seven men (14%) report being a victim of domestic violence; one in five women (20%) and one in sixteen men (6%) report being a victim of sexual assault.
- 60% of Americans, 15 years of age or older, know a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault. Among the 70% of women who have experienced domestic violence and told someone about it, more than half (58%) said that no one helped them.
- Only 47% of men experiencing domestic violence report telling someone about it, and with good reason. Of men who did tell someone, 87% reported that no one helped them.
The “No More” PSA campaign is aimed to get people to start talking about domestic violence. The reaction by some people are that of discomfort and dismissal. But that’s exactly the point. These commercials are supposed to make you uncomfortable because you’re supposed to be upset and annoyed by domestic violence. The commercials are to make you get involved in domestic violence.
After seeing the brutal Janay Rice video played time and time again, we hope this PSA will be played just as often.
Do you think these ads will be effective in combating domestic violence? Sound off in the comments below.
Celebrities Who’ve Survived Domestic Violence
1. La Toya JacksonSource: 1 of 21
2. Michel'leSource: 2 of 21
3. Gabrielle UnionSource: 3 of 21
4. NeNe LeakSource: 4 of 21
5. Mariah CareySource: 5 of 21
6. Whitney HoustonSource: 6 of 21
7. K. MichelleSource: 7 of 21
8. Evelyn LozadaSource: 8 of 21
9. Tina TurnerSource: 9 of 21
10. Robin GivensSource: 10 of 21
11. Claudette OrtizSource: 11 of 21
12. Halle BerrySource: 12 of 21
13. Tamar BraxtonSource: 13 of 21
14. Kelly RowlandSource: 14 of 21
15. RihannaSource: 15 of 21
16. Lisa WuSource: 16 of 21
17. Jaslene GonzalezSource: 17 of 21
18. Keke WyattSource: 18 of 21
19. Christina AguileraSource: 19 of 21
20. Erica MenaSource: 20 of 21
21. Cicely TysonSource: 21 of 21
The ‘No More’ Domestic Violence PSA Campaign Is Uncomfortable To Watch & That’s Exactly The Point was originally published on hellobeautiful.com