Listen Live Graphics (Indy)
RadioNOW Featured Videos
CLOSE

According to CBS News, law enforcement officers investigating the Boston marathon bombings were searching an apartment in the Boston suburb of Revere, Mass. early Tuesday, CBS Boston’s WBZ-TV reports.

Massachusetts State Police confirm to The Associated Press that a search warrant related to the probe was served Monday night in Revere, but provided no further details.

Some investigators were seen leaving the Revere house early Tuesday carrying brown paper bags, plastic trash bags and a duffel bag.

Two bombs exploded in the crowded streets near the marathon finish line, killing at least three people and injuring more than 140 in a bloody scene of shattered glass and severed limbs that raised alarms that terrorists might have struck again in the U.S.

 

WBZ reports one of the dead was an eight-year-old boy. A person who had talked to a friend of the boy’s family, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the AP the boy’s mother and sister were also injured as they waited for his father to finish the race.

A White House official speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still unfolding said Monday’s attack was being treated as an act of terrorism.

President Obama, speaking from the White House, pointedly avoided using the words “terror” or “terrorism,” saying officials “still do not know who did this or why.” However, a White House official later said the explosions at one of the world’s oldest and most prestigious races was being treated as terrorism.

“We will find out who did this. We’ll find out why they did this,” Mr. Obama said in his brief statement. “Any responsible individuals, any responsible groups, will feel the full weight of justice.”

 

As the FBI took charge of the investigation, authorities shed no light on a motive or who may have carried out the bombings, and police said they had no suspects in custody. Officials in Washington said there was no immediate claim of responsibility.

The Pakistani Taliban have denied any role in the bombings, according to the Associated Press.

CBS News senior correspondent John Miller reports that a Saudi national is being questioned by authorities. He was seen running from the explosion, and a civilian chased him down and tackled him. He was turned over to Boston police and is being questioned by the FBI. He is being cooperative and denies any involvement.

“This could mean a lot, or this could mean very little,” Miller said. “It’s too soon to call him a suspect.”

Miller says the man is being treated for burns on his hands, and authorities suggest he may be in the U.S. on a student visa.

Miller reported earlier that authorities are also reviewing surveillance video that shows a man from behind carrying two backpacks near the site of the explosions. Authorities are not sure whether the subject in the video is linked to the blasts.

 

According to CBS News,  no unexploded devices were found in the vicinity of the race, contrary to earlier reports.

The fiery twin blasts took place almost simultaneously and about 100 yards apart, knocking spectators and at least one runner off their feet, shattering windows and sending dense plumes of smoke rising over the street and through the fluttering national flags lining the course.

When the second bomb went off, the spectators’ cheers turned to screams. As sirens blared, emergency workers and National Guardsmen assigned to the race for crowd control began climbing over and tearing down temporary fences to get to the blast site.

 

“They just started bringing people in with no limbs,” said runner Tim Davey, of Virginia. He said he and his wife, Lisa, tried to keep their children’s eyes shielded from the gruesome scene inside a medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners, but “they saw a lot.”

Hospitals reported at least 144 injured, at least 17 of them critically. The injuries ranged from cuts and bruises to amputations. Many victims suffered lower leg injuries and shrapnel wounds. Some suffered ruptured eardrums.

 

At Massachusetts General Hospital, Alasdair Conn, chief of emergency services, said, “This is something I’ve never seen in my 25 years here … this amount of carnage in the civilian population. This is what we expect from war.”

 

 

 

(Full Story and Videos can be found on the CBS News website here: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57579766/boston-marathon-bombings-suburban-apartment-searched/

Also On RadioNOW 100.9: